One of the most harmful materials currently in our environment is plastic. Single-use plastic bags, plastic bottles, plastic straws, plastic cups and all other plastic materials that are not properly recycled often leave our wildlife and ocean polluted.
Plastic products are very common in our modern life. According to an estimate, every year we use approximately 1.6 million barrels of oil just for producing plastic bottled water. Plastic waste is one of many types of waste that take too long to decompose. Normally, plastic items take up to 1,000 years to decompose in landfills. Plastic bags we use in our everyday life take 10-20 years to decompose, while plastic bottles take 450 years.
The wide use of plastic materials in the manufacturing industry is widespread because plastic economical to produce and very easy to mold into different forms.
On the consumer's end, we have become dependent on using plastic products. It can be difficult to imagine life without plastic products, but we can reduce our use of plastic. We have put together a guide on how we can reduce using plastic so we can get closer to living a “plastic-free” lifestyle and help our environment and its inhabitants.
When we say find alternative products, what we mean is being able to select from better options available.
- For example, when going to your local shop, rather than selecting those pre-packed vegetables or fruits that are wrapped in plastic and styrofoam plates, choose those that are on the bin or display boxes that you can put on your own reusable eco-bag.
- Simply avoid products that are in plastic containers if you have to. Less plastic translates to less waste in your home.
- Rather than using a single-use plastic to buy fresh produce, bring your own reusable eco-friendly shopping bag. Eco Trade Company offers various eco-friendly bags that are guaranteed safe for our environment. CLICK HERE TO ORDER
- Do not use single-use plastic bags. Always say no to them.
- Give up bottled water and use your own reusable eco-friendly and BPA free drinking water bottle.
- Always bring your take-out food containers or reusable containers, don’t allow them to put left-over food on styrofoam containers.
- Use stainless steel travel mugs for your tea or coffee. CLICK HERE TO ORDER
- Go for an ice cream cone that you can eat and not in ice cream plastic cups.
- Rather than buying fruit juices in plastic bottles, buy and eat fresh fruits instead.
- Rather than using plastic cutlery, use an eco-friendly or reusable cutlery set. CLICK HERE TO ORDER
- Shop in your local market. Local farmers often have a place to sell their bounty. Fresh and local produce is always fresh and from their garden. Bring along your reusable shopping bags and buy fresh produce from them.
- If ever you buy cherry tomatoes or berries that are packed in containers to local markets, try to bring them back so that they can reuse them. Or better yet, bring along small containers with you.
- Same is true with meat and other poultry products, bring your container, the butcher can just make adjustments on the weight.
- Do not buy bread in plastic bags. Bring your container or reusable clean bag.
- Use reusable sandwich wraps. CLICK HERE TO ORDER
- If you can, buy milk in returnable glasses.
- Purchase wine with a cork seal and not plastic or tin.
- Use natural cleaning cloth or scrubber when cleaning your home rather than plastic and synthetic brushes.
- Use an all-natural and organic body bar soaps in eco-friendly packaging which dissolves longer than liquid soaps.
- Always check labels on personal care products and refrain from buying anything that has polyethylene, as these are plastic components.
- Try solid shave soap rather than shaving creams in plastic or tin containers.
- Eliminate plastic toothbrushes and use bamboo toothbrushes.
- Use reusable utensils at the office just in case you decide to bring in food or order food deliveries rather than using disposable plastic cutlery sets.
- Choose eco-friendly natural cat liners.
- Use eco-friendly pet bowls too and avoid using plastic bowls.
- Choose plastic-free materials when you go camping.
- Choose organic, natural and eco-friendly pet toys. CLICK HERE TO ORDER
- Find ways to eliminate the use of plastic tapes when wrapping something. Use natural hemp cord, etc.
- Choose eco-friendly dog poop bags. CLICK HERE TO ORDER
Living a plastic-free life can be challenging but it has a huge positive impact on our environment. Imagine if every one of us did our share and tried to live a plastic-free life. With a little conscious consumption, we can soon see a change in our environment.
We hope that these guidelines or tips were helpful. Let us work together and try to live a plastic-free life!